Saturday, November 15, 2014

Storytelling Week 14: Cinderella's Diary

Dear Diary,

Okay, so I know I'm pretty and all with my golden hair but is that any excuse for my father to want to marry me?! Ugh I'm appalled! How gross is that? Everyone knows it is gross too, but he is the king and can do anything he wants. I look just like my mother; that must be why he loves me as he loved her... I don't know what to do though! I cannot let my father marry me. It would be a disgrace for our kingdom and I cannot bring myself to marry my own dad anyways! No, first I will tell him that in order for me to marry him, he must give me a dress as gold as the sun, as silver as the moon, and bright as the stars. Surely he will not get any that look like that and then I won't have to marry him! Perfect!


Dear Diary,

My plan failed. He got the dresses, so I decided to run away. I took my dresses with me, and was living in the woods, but them some men found me! I was covered in dirt though, so I did not look like a King's daughter and they took me in as a servant. Hey, that's better than being married to my dad! They work me to death though, but it is an awfully good cover in case my father tries to find me. And I still have my dresses in case I ever need them.

Dear Diary,

So the King had a ball the other night. Let me tell ya, that King is fine. I snuck upstairs, cleaned myself off, changed into one of my pretty dresses, and snuck into the ball. It was so much fun! I couldn't be gone long, but oh my goodness, I danced with the King! He was so wonderful. He doesn't know I work for him though... I wonder what would happen if he found out?


Dear Diary,

The King figured it out! I have been sneaking into all the dancing balls and dancing with the King. I knew he had fallen in love with me, and that was okay because I loved him too! I wanted so badly to be with him, so I put pieces of beautiful jewelry in the food I would make for him. He called me up there several times to ask where I had gotten the jewelry and what I was doing working for the King. I just said I was a poor servant. He tricked me though, and snuck a ring on my finger at the ball! Then I was called up and he saw that the ring was on my finger, dumped a bucket of water on my head, and saw that I was the girl he'd fallen in love with at the royal ball! I'm practically his Cinderella. Anyways, we're getting married tomorrow! I love him and we are going to live happily ever after.

Cinderella and her Prince
Source: Inside Croydon


Author's Note: This story is a retelling of "Allerleirauh" from the Household Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm, translated by Margaret Hunt (1884). The retelling is not much different from the original story, but I decided to put it in a more modern perspective. She dances with the King three separate times before he slips the ring on her finger, and he calls her up but she forgot to cover the finger with soot, so he figured out it was her he had been dancing with.

4 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of Diary style storytelling and I think that was an excellent choice for this storytelling! The first entry is so shocking, because I agree with her, ewww! I love her train of thought in these diaries as she escapes her father and ends up with the King. It took me a moment to figure out the difference between her father being King and the other King, but your author’s note helped! I love the trick he used to find her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness she took the initiative to avoid marrying her father! Plus, I'm glad she didn't entrap herself Like Desiree said, I was a little confused at first when it comes to the difference between the father and the King. In all honesty, that's pretty much my fault. I wrongly assumed them to be the same person. In any case, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Savannah,
    I liked how you changed the storytelling format for Allereirauh from 3rd person to a diary. It added needed depth to it because I thought the original needed a bit more explanation to the heroine's actions. I read the same unit of Grimm's and I have to agree with the sentiment that you have in there towards the protagonist's father, I was wigged out reading that part. Anyway great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that you chose to use diary entries as your storytelling device. It is the same one that I decided to use for my storybook! I think it works really well for this kind of story because it lets us in Cinderella's mind and shows us what she is thinking. It really helps make the story more personal. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete