Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Storytelling Week 4: Katie's Diary


May 4, 2011
Dear Diary,

I just married the love of my life! I mean I know we've known each other for only a week but I knew he was the one the moment I saw him and I'm so happy! His name is Michael and he's so rich and handsome; I am obsessed! And honestly, we are inseparable. We are with each other nonstop, all day, everyday. Really though, he's sitting beside me right now watching me write in my diary. He's so amazing. I love him so much. We will have a forever perfect marriage, and he will never cheat on me, nor I on him... It's going to be wonderful.

November 15, 2011
Dear Diary,

I know it's been a while, but I've been too obsessed with Michael to write! We have a wonderful marriage and I love him more than anything in the world@ But the real reason I'm writing is because Michael went out to town today and he.... bought a parrot. Not just any parrot. It talks. Weird right? It doesn't repeat things; it talks like a human! Michael said it was a special bird, it cost a lot of money, and we should be happy to have it. I figure that's true... It's still really weird though, and kind of creepy. Also, Michael thought this bird would be lonely in his cage, so he bought another talking bird. When the heck did birds learn to talk?? Whatever, I love my husband and he loves me so it's okay. :)

December 10, 2011
Dear Diary,

Michael had to go on a three month business trip and I'm so upset about it... How am I ever going to live without him? I'm so depressed. I cry myself to sleep every night. I can't get in touch with him because he's out in the middle of nowhere... On the bright side, though, I have the birds here. Turns out they're really cool to talk to. The parrot is really nice, and I enjoy the conversations we have. He helps cheer me up sometimes. I try to keep busy around the house, but I just can't seem to get out of bed sometimes. I think it'll take some time, but I'll learn how to cope, and just keep looking forward to the day he returns.

December 12, 2011
Dear Diary,

So I met this guy yesterday. Actually, I didn't technically meet him; I was at the window looking forlornly outside, and he saw me. He moved in across the street, into the most magnificent house I've ever seen, and looked over and saw me in the window. He stopped what he was doing and just stood there. Staring. It was kind of creepy, but he's super handsome. Is it bad that I think that? Anyways, I'm not sure how he found out, but he dropped off a letter today saying he knew my husband was gone, and if I needed any company, I could come over whenever. He also said that he's in love with me and thinks I'm the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. I am extremely flattered, but I'm wondering... Is that... a booty call? Maybe I'm reading too much into it; we'll see.

December 15, 2011
Dear Diary,

Concerning that note I mentioned earlier... it was definitely a booty call. He keeps asking me to come over after dark, but I keep turning him down. It is the middle of December though, and it's quite cold at night... maybe someone to snuggle with would be okay?

December 16, 2011
Okay Diary,

Let's be real here. If I go over there, I'm totally going to sleep with him. He's way too attractive not to. And honestly, I think him and I would make a great match! Yeah, I know I have my husband, but he's not exactly here at the moment and I've sort of fallen for this guy! He's way richer than my husband, and he is such a charmer.
So basically I've decided I'm going over to his house tonight. I'm so excited! There is one caveat though... one thing my husband made me promise was to ask the parrot if I could leave the house. Yes, I know that seems super controlling and odd, but it was his only request, and honestly, how hard can it be to convince a parrot to let me leave the house?

December 17, 2011
Dear Diary,

You know how I had to ask the parrot for permission to leave? Well late last night, I asked the first parrot if I could leave and it said no, so I yanked him out of the cage and smashed him and killed him! I know it's cruel, but I really wanted to visit this guy! Then I asked the second parrot. He said yes, but then he mentioned some story... and I got curious. By the time he was finished with the story though, it was daylight! I guess I'll just have to wait until late tonight to visit my lover...


January 20, 2012
Dear Diary,

So every night I ask this parrot for permission, it says yes, but then he mentions a story, and I can't keep myself from asking him to tell me the story! Next thing I know, it's morning and I can't visit my future lover. So frustrating.

March 2, 2012
Dear Diary,

Michael, here. I just returned from my business trip and the parrot told me my wife had fallen in love with that guy across the street, and she killed him with her own two hands?! Not sure how she did that, being as little as she is, but the bird said it, so it must be true. Anyways, Katie is dead now. I killed her. She won't be returning to write in her diary. Turns out she's a mean, selfish, bird/people killing whore. Oh well. Maybe I'll find a wife one day that will actually be faithful.


Katie asking the Parrot to let her visit her lover.
"Nude with a Parrot" Painting by George Bellows
Source: Wikipedia
Author's Note/Bibliography: I originated this story from "The Tooti Nameh or Tales of a Parrot" by Ziya'al-Din Nakhshabi (1801). I chose to write this story from the point of view of the wife through a diary. The original is written in third person, and the events from the above story are the same as the actual one. I also changed the era of the story, to be as if it were written in today's time. I attempted to highlight the strange events that were dismissed as normal occurrences that happened in the original story (such as buying a talking parrot, marrying within a week of meeting someone, and having to ask the parrot's permission to leave). The parrot tells the wife many stories on purpose to keep her from cheating on her husband, and he succeeds in doing so. Except, when the husband gets back, the bird tells him that his wife had fallen in love with and killed a prince, then the husband kills his wife. It was quite the shocking ending as I was reading it, and I tried to induce the same kind of sudden shock in my story. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! I really like the style in which you told this story. I also liked how putting it in diary form made it much easier to understand and follow. I was definitely shocked by the ending though. Overall, great job on your story!! I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I thought your retelling was really interesting and I think the diary format made the stories seem a little more personal, which I liked. Like you stated in your author’s note, this format allowed you to draw attention to things that may have been glossed over in the original. Your retelling made me want to read to original story! I think it was a smart choice to bring your retelling into a modern time period as well because that makes everything easier to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the get go I thought the parrot was gonna be the villain. In a way yes it was but it did do its job by preventing the wife from cheating. She seemed kind of wacko anyways, she fell so quickly for her husband and got so clingy. I can't help to wonder who the man across the street was? A vampire, a murderer, a spy sent from the husband? Great story, left me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was definitely interesting. I never knew what was going to happen next. I was not expecting anyone to die at all actually haha. It was nice, though, to read a story that was not so predictable. I like the purpose of the parrots, I wasn’t sure why they were included in the first place but then I realized how the wife was trying to cheat on her husband the whole time and they were just trying to help. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I have to say, oh my gosh! What a very intense story! I am familiar now with the original of the story as I've read a few other stories about it, but I love yours the most so far. The diary format makes it so easy to keep my attention because I was constantly wondering what would happen next. I really felt like I was reading someone's personal thoughts and when her husband wrote in the diary, I was blown away. Really good job, I can't wait to read more stories from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you made it into a diary! It makes the story a bit deeper usually into the character's life. I got a little confused at the end when the wife killed one of the parrots but then that parrot told the husband that his wife was thinking of cheating. I actually laughed though when the husband is like, hey wassup! I killed my horrible wife cause she was gunna cheat on me and killed my bird but hey, maybe my perfect match is still out there! Does that make me a horrible person for thinking it is funny? Cause it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also read this unit, and I loved your use of the diary entries to tell the progression of the story. The way the last entry was written by the husband was a great addition in a very disturbing way. I also like that it explains why the husband bought the parrots in the first place. Really great job with your retelling!

    ReplyDelete